Troubleshooting and Resolving Cable Connection Problems
Unable to browse the Web or use email? Here are a few tips that will help you identify and fix the problem.
Restart your computer and the cable modem. Then try to access different Web sites and use your email. If both services (email and Web) are still not working, follow these steps.
Tests to perform on the modem and the information it provides
- Certain models have a « STANDBY » button. When it is pressed, the modem goes into sleep mode. If your modem has this button, make sure it has not been pressed.
Check your modem connections:
There are three connectors on the cable modem. Make sure they are properly plugged in and there is no gap between the outlet and the connector. Check these three connectors:
- Electrical connector for plugging in the cable from the adapter.
- Network port (RJ45) for plugging in a network cable to the computer or router.
- Cable port for plugging in a cable coming from outside the building.
The modem’s indicator lights help you make an initial diagnosis. This is what the lights mean:
- POWER — This light comes on when the modem is plugged into an electrical outlet with the supplied adapter.
- RECEIVE and SEND — Non-flashing light.
- ONLINE — This light comes on when the modem is synchronized with the central station.
- PC ACTIVITY or LINK — This light comes on when a device such as a computer or router is plugged into the modem’s network port (ETH) and is working properly.
- STANDBY — his light should be off.
- If the POWER and ONLINE lights are on, the modem is receiving its signal. Check if the computer has a fixed or static IP. If you have a fixed IP, click on the following link for the steps to follow in the network adapter card settings.
- If these 2 lights are on and the PC ACTIVITY light is off, click on this link to make sure the network adapter card is activated.
If your service is still not working after following these steps, try restarting your computer and cable modem again, by following these steps:
- Unplug the power cable and the modem’s cable.
- Shut down the computer.
- Wait 5 minutes, then reconnect the cable. Plug the power cable back in.
- Wait for the modem’s ONLINE light to come on and stop flashing, then restart your computer.
If this does not solve the problem, contact technical support at 418 683-4557.